I love epilating! You get the reduced and slower hair growth benefits that you get from waxing without tall the mess! You also save money by not having to buy new wax beads or strips. I started using an epilator about a year ago and have not gone back to shaving, (except for the bikini area, I can not wax or epilate that)!
I started with the Braun Silk-epil 3 epilator since it was one of the more inexpensive options that still has good reviews. I recommend starting with a cheaper option like this to see if you even like epilating. Now that I know I like it I eventually want to invest in a more expensive epilator.
- The Braun Silk-epil 3 has a 20 tweezer system with massage rollers.
- Smart light.
- 2 different speed settings.
- It comes with a shaver head, trimmer cap, and massage cap.
- A cord so you don’t have to worry about batteries!
The massage rollers help make epilating more comfortable and maneuverable and the smart light helps you to see fine hairs. I use the shavers head and trimmer for the bikini area.
This is a pretty basic model but great if you are dipping your toes in epilation. The Silk-epil 3 is meant to be used on dry skin on the legs and body. I would not use an epilator on my face! Although some of the Amazon reviewers did and liked it while others hurt their face.
- Light to see finer hairs.
- Extra tools like shaver head.
- No batteries (a pro for me, maybe a con for others).
- Very loud!
- Not great at plucking finer hairs. It doesn’t do well with getting all of the fine hairs on my thighs. It works best on thicker coarse hairs like on the calves and armpits.
The first time I epilated it left red bumps on the areas I used it and pustules on the bikini area. These lasted for a few days which sucked but after that first time the bumps go away very quickly within a night. I also spray witch hazel (alcohol-free) on my skin to calm redness. Epilating at night is best so that the redness had time to calm before the next day.